Aetna and Humana Inc. announced on July 3 that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Aetna will acquire all outstanding shares of Humana for a combination of cash and stock valued at $37 billion or approximately $230 per Humana share based on the closing price of Aetna common shares on July 2, 2015.
In a news release, the companies said, “The complementary combination brings together Humana’s growing Medicare Advantage business with Aetna’s diversified portfolio and commercial capabilities to create a company serving the most seniors in the Medicare Advantage program and the second-largest managed care company in the United States. The combined entity will help drive better value and higher-quality health care by reducing administrative costs, leveraging best-in-breed practices from the two companies — including Humana’s chronic-care capabilities that measurably improve health outcomes for larger populations — and enabling the company to better compete with more cost effective products.”
The joint release also noted that, “The combined company will be well positioned to offer a broad choice of affordable, consumer-centric health care products, helping to constrain cost growth, improve health outcomes, and promote wellness. The combination will provide Aetna with an enhanced ability to work with providers and create value-based payment agreements that result in better care to consumers, and spread cutting-edge clinical practices and quality care.”
After closing Aetna will make Louisville the headquarters for its Medicare, Medicaid and TRICARE businesses, and will maintain a significant corporate presence in Louisville. Founded in Louisville more than 50 years ago, Humana has a long history of contributing to the Louisville community.
Aetna Chairman and CEO Mark T. Bertolini said, “The acquisition of Humana aligns two great companies and will significantly advance our strategy of more effectively serving members in a rapidly changing health care industry.”
He noted the combination “will allow us to continue to invest in excellent service for our members and strengthen our partnerships with providers to deliver high quality care at an affordable price. We have great respect for Humana, their talented team, their culture and their strong medical management capabilities. We look forward to working with them following the closing, as we enhance our combined portfolio of innovative health care offerings to provide significant benefits to consumers, employers and providers, and to continue delivering value for our shareholders.”
Bruce D. Broussard, president and CEO of Humana, said, “Aetna and Humana share a strong commitment to improving the health and well-being of consumers, whatever their needs and wherever they are on their lifelong health journey. Through the use of technology and integrated
services to simplify the consumer experience, the combined entity will be even more effective in meeting the health needs of many more people — especially people with chronic conditions, who will benefit from Humana’s home health, pharmacy management, and data analytics programs. The transaction is a testament to the accomplishments of Humana associates and an outstanding outcome for our shareholders, who will receive an immediate premium and the opportunity to participate in the growth potential of the combined organization.”
According to the news release, the combination of Aetna and Humana:
- Builds on each company’s respective efforts to provide innovative, technology-driven products, services and solutions to build healthier populations, promote higher quality health care at lower cost, and offer greater transparency and convenience for consumers.
- Increases Aetna’s Medicare Advantage membership to 4.4 million and improves Aetna’s ability to serve members and their providers with cutting-edge technology and best practices.
- Brings together two companies with leading percentages of membership in Medicare plans rated four Stars or higher.
- Creates a leading health care services and pharmacy benefit franchise, serving members who use over 600 million prescriptions annually.
- Strengthens care management capabilities by taking the best-of-breed provider solutions, including robust offerings of patient-centered provider services, clinical intelligence, value-based reimbursement models, data integration and analytics solutions from both companies.
- Brings together two companies with longstanding commitments to promoting wellness, health, and access to high-quality health care for everyone, while supporting the communities in which they serve.